Sophomores to screen documentary ‘Won’t you be my Neighbor’

Sophomores to screen documentary Wont you be my Neighbor

On the second day of Columbia’s 15th annual True False film festival, all CPS sophomores have the opportunity to travel to Jesse Hall to watch Won’t you be my Neighbor, a documentary about the life of famous children’s television show host Fred Rogers.
Despite her limited knowledge of Rogers, sophomore Grace Dyer says the show will kick start her opportunity to see documentaries at the festival as she’s only seen two before.
“I’m looking forward to both the movie and DIY day following the movie,” Dyer said. “I’m excited to attend the master classes of DIY day and learn to use [my] creativity.”
DIY day is an opportunity for the sophomores to experience an afternoon of interactive artist workshops led by a True False filmmaker, artist or musician. After the workshops, the students can congregate and participate in the festival’s March March, a parade downtown. While students can decide to opt-out of going on the film field-trip, 10th grade Advanced Placement world history Greg Irwin said the sophomore screening should continue to be an annual event for RBHS students.
“It’s a great way for all student to access this unique community event,” Irwin said. “Only nine students are opting out this year, and around 100 are highly involved in the event through DIY Day, volunteerism and True/False Bootcamp.”
2018 marks the fourth year of the sophomore True False screening. Last year, the students screened I am not your Negro, which seemed to generate controversy among students. Irwin said the films gain a mixture of both positive and negative responses from students.
“Last year’s film, I Am Not Your Negro, caused strong responses in lieu the Trump’s election and various responses about his comments on race,” Irwin said.
Regardless of the True/False film selection for sophomores , this is often their first experience regarding the festival, the True/False website said. Sophomore Kellen Clowe, who has not yet seen a T/F film, is excited to see Won’t you be my Neighbor. He believes RBHS should continue to take students on this field trip.
“Lots of people don’t know about [True False] like me last year,” Clowe said. “[The festival] is a cool opportunity everyone should know about and have access to.”
Likewise, without the field trip, Dyer doesn’t think she would see Won’t you be my Neighbor, but she looks forward to expanding her knowledge and getting more involved in True False this year.
“For me, True False is a great opportunity to see interesting, nonfiction films that can provide a better understanding of certain subjects,” Dyer said. “I definitely think that [RBHS] should continue these field trips.”

What was your first experience with True/False?