Highlights of T/F 2014

True/False Logo. Image used under fair use doctrine.
Anjali Pinto

The True/False film festival kicks off this week. In fact, Wednesday, Cynthia Hill, the director of Private Violence, will be in the PAC to show parts of the film and take questions from students.
The directors of True/False are also coordinating events to take students to movies from the festival. For anyone who hasn’t got all weekend to spend at True/False festivities, here are some highlights of the festival that are must-sees.
1. March March Parade: To kick off the festival, True/False hosts the March March: a parade open to the public on Friday Feb. 28 at 5:15 p.m. View it as a spectator or join in the fun as a participant. T/F encourages everyone to “dress colorfully, to construct and carry fun props, to make noise, and to push the level of imagination,” according to its website. Watch (or march with) the parade as it makes its way from Courthouse Square to Missouri Theatre, and be prepared to see some truly funky things. Past years have seen masks, horse costumes, unicyclists, flame throwers and hula hoopers all marching in the parade. The only rules: stay safe and have fun.
2. Watch Private Violence: Each year, T/F spotlights one film from the festival and offers assistance to the subjects of that film through the True Life fund. This year the True Life fund will recognize Cynthia Hill’s Private Violence, a film that focuses on Kit Gruelle, a survivor of and advocate against domestic violence, as well as Deanna Walters: also a victim of domestic violence who is battling the justice system. The True Life fund will raise money through the community and also through the True Life Run. This movie is one that you don’t want to miss, and is sure to be incredibly moving and eye opening. The film will screen in Jesse Auditorium at 3 p.m. Saturday, March 1 and at 12:30 p.m. Sunday, March 2.
3. Gimme Truth!: This is T/F’s very own documentary game show in which 10 local filmmakers create short two-minute documentaries that are either entirely true or entirely false. Hosted by Johnny St. John, the game show will have a panel featuring an array of documentary world celebrity judges and try not to get hoodwinked by the filmmakers in deciding which films are true and which are false. Don’t miss out on this hilariously entertaining event on Saturday evening, but be sure to buy tickets in advance.
4. The Great Wall: No, you don’t need to travel to China to see this. Instead, just head down 9th Street to the side of the Missouri United Methodist Church that faces Shakepeare’s Pizza. This wall, known as ‘The Great Wall,’ serves as True/False’s cheapest (and by that I mean free) outdoor movie screening area. On Friday, Feb. 28 and Saturday, March 1, T/F will screen a series of short films from 7 – 11 p.m. on ‘The Great Wall.’ It’s a great way to get involved and pinch some pennies – just don’t tell your date it was free.
5. Neither/Nor Series: For the second year, T/F 2014 will host its Neither/Nor series, an exploration of what they call “chimeric” cinema – films that straddle the lines between fiction and non-fiction. Each year, a different acclaimed film critic chooses four films from a different era to present. In this year’s edition, film critic Godfrey Cheshire will explore Iranian cinema of the 1990s. He has chosen the films Close-Up (1990), A Moment of Innocence (1996), The Mirror (1997) and The Apple (1999), according to the T/F website. In the past, Ragtag Cinema and Cafe has hosted the presentation of the first two films, and T/F has hosted the second two. Though the schedule has not yet been released, keep your eyes open for details about this fantastic opportunity to delve into the rich history of cinema with a great guide at your disposal.
By Trisha Chaudhary
BearingNews will be covering True/False this week. Check back for reviews, features and interviews.