Meet Cameron Grahl, candidate for student body treasurer

Why are you running for this position?
I’m running for this position because I really want my senior year to be the best that it can be, and I know that I would do really well at being treasurer. I feel like I’m a natural at a leadership role, and I wanted to pick a role where I wasn’t stepping on anybody’s toes, you know, like Julia who has been vice president for who knows how many years kind of thing, but also to where I’m still part of a leadership role.
What impact do you hope to make while in office?
I really hope to make Student Council probably known. I feel like StuCo does a lot for the school, and I want Student Council to show the general school population that’s what we do. Because even until this year, I had no idea the type of awesomeness that Student Council does, and I want kids to know that we are doing this; the stuff that’s changing in our school is up to Student Council, not the administrators.
What have you done to campaign?
I’ve been giving out stickers, which I’m almost out of today, and I personalized those so they’re all really neat. And then posters have also been a big one. And every time I give out a sticker I really try to boost me up in the “Like Meter,” I guess, if you want to put it that way.
What makes you qualified for this position?
I haven’t been convicted of embezzlement. But probably because I really want to take this job to heart, and I know that I’m going to do a good job because, I mean, I’m proficient at math, obviously. I mean, I know that being treasurer doesn’t necessarily take honors precalc math level, but, you know, to have that experience. And also I’m willing to learn if I do something wrong, which I’m hoping not, but I’m hoping to learn from the experience and build up from it.
What qualities do you have that would make you a good spot for this office?
Definitely the whole learning thing; you know, make a mistake and learn from it. And then I think that efficiency is probably one of my main ones. In anything I do I try to be really efficient about it; I try to get it done as quickly as possible and as well as possible, not just quickly put something together but also managing my time well and managing whatever I do well so that it’s not a big deal in the future.
Which politician do you model your approach after?
You know, I don’t know. I really tried to take this as uniquely as I could. I really wanted to make this personal to me, and so I didn’t really look at any presidential campaigns or anything like that because for the most part they’re doing the exact same things that we’re doing, you know, putting signs in yards. I haven’t ever seen a sticker, but just getting my name out there and getting it to where people know that I’m running.
Where do you see yourself politically in ten years?
Politically in 0? I don’t know. That’s a weird question.
Like as an everyday voter?
Probably definitely an everyday voter. I’ve been really into debate for a really long time, and so I try to keep up with the issues that way, and so I think that in ten years I’m going to be pretty into it, just knowing the issues and knowing where I stand on the issues and being able to vote for them, not necessarily being a politician or anything like that.
How are you reaching out to the community to help your campaign?
In Rock Bridge definitely the posters and just talking to people. Like if I see a group of kids and know at least one of them, I’ll still go up to that entire group of kids and talk to all of them so that, even though I don’t know them, they still know me. That’s kind of a big way that I’m getting my name out there.
What are your ideas on the playground additions to the north side of the school?
You know, I’m going to be honest; I don’t know what that is. That’s a bummer, I’m sorry. Like that’s one of the things that I want to change. Like I don’t have any idea what that is. Do you think that he’s going to know what that is, that any of these kids are going to know what that is? Which is sad, but it’s one of the things that I’d kind of want to put through the president and stuff like that because obviously I’m not the one who’s going to be making all of the decisions that the president is and stuff like that. And, you know, I want them to know some of the things that are going on, especially kids not knowing these issues that were happening.
What do you think the student body is looking for in a candidate?
You know, I think that they’re looking for someone to be confident and kind of out there for someone to actually notice. I think that they’re going to want to see someone who knows what they’re doing or at least can talk as if they know what they are doing because some of them may not know what’s going on, and so they’re going to want someone who can convince them that they are the perfect candidate for treasurer or secretary or whatever candidate they’re going for.
By Daphne Yu