Girls soccer falls to Raytown after tough battle

Katrina Fox

The girls soccer team gathers at the south entrance to wait for its bus to arrive. The team is traveling to play Lee's Summit for a tournament. Photo by Shivangi Singh.
Friday, March 23, brought rain and question for the girls soccer team. With a Lee Summit Tournament that week, the weather had already caused two rescheduled and one cancelled game. When they finally got to play, the game ended in disappointment for Rock Bridge with a 3-0 loss.
At 12:45, the girls were excused and preceded on the bus to head towards Kansas city for a five o’clock game against Raytown. With a mist of rain lingering all the way there, it was still questionable whether or not the game was still on.
“None of us thought we were going to play which was definitely frustrating,” senior Brett Fuller said. “We have had five or six games scheduled and have only played two. But it was nice to finally get to play.
As warm ups-ended, so did the rain. The sun was poking through the clouds and the game began, the Bruins getting the kick-off.
In the first half, the RB girls stayed aggressive on both the defensive and offensive side, getting many shots on goal early. Playing Raytown, a physical team, meant the Bruins would have to stay tough.
Raytown’s starting forward, a Mizzou recruit, was guarded by junior Morgan Bumby while the rest of the team guarded areas in hopes to shut down the star player.
“She had a lot of speed and was good about always moving around the field to receive and distribute the ball,” Bumby said. “About five minutes in, you could tell she was getting frustrated. I was man-marking so she just tried pushing me off the ball. I made sure to stay with her and cut off her angle so she couldn’t play those balls in the box. I think that was the key to shutting her down.”
Going into half, the game was tied 0-0. Both teams had looks at the goal, but both were unable to put them away.
When the second half began Raytown powered down the field getting a free kick at the 30-yard line. With the cross, a Raytown forward found it volleyed it into the back of the net. Rock bridge worked together to pass the ball around and once in front of the goal couldn’t put it away. Raytown went on to score two more times.
“I think we are a bit disappointed that we didn’t play like we were capable of playing.” coach Anne Felts said. “But anytime that happens you try to learn from the experience and get better as a team.”
By Katrina Fox