Reality talent show ‘The Voice’ ends third season on high note

Image used under fair use doctrine
Image used under fair use doctrine
Tonight, Dec. 18, the finale of the beloved American reality talent show, The Voice, aired on the NBC television network. This third season debuted Sept. 10 with a massive 12.28 million viewers. After an intense season of competition, the three finalists, Cassadee Pope, Nicholas David and Terry McDermott faced off one last time this week to win over the hearts, as well as the votes, of America.
Each one of these finalists went through a series of competition rounds before making it to the finale. At the beginning of the season, these artists got the chance to choose which coach’s team they wished to be on, either Adam Levine‘s (Maroon 5), Cee Lo Green‘s (Gnarls Barkley), pop artist Christina Aguilera‘s or country singer Blake Shelton‘s. From blind auditions to the battle rounds and then eventually to the live shows, the artists were narrowed down from the initial 64 contestants, 16 per coach, to the final three.
Pope and McDermott have been a part of Shelton’s team from the beginning. Pope, a breakout solo artist and originally the lead vocalist of the popular pop rock band Hey Monday, has used her time on the show to showcase her high vocal range and undeniable stage presence. Performances of the songs “Over You” and “Stupid Boy” were enough to win her the votes to secure a place in the finale. With a voice similar to that of rock singer, Avril Lavigne, Pope has captured those who enjoy a good stage presence and a strong vocal performance.
On the other hand, McDermott’s strong Scottish rock background shone through with each and every one of his performances. Throughout the season, McDermott was able to show his powerful rock side through his song choices, such as “I Want to Know What Love is” and “Let It Be”.
The final vocalist is Nicholas David, who won over the heart of Cee Lo Green early on in the competition and has been by his side ever since. David has a unique and soulfully enriched voice which has allowed him to reach a wider ranged audience. His song selections included “You Are So Beautiful” and “Lean on Me”.
By the end of this intense season, I was greatly looking forward to the finale, more than any of the previous seasons. I watched my Twitter feed blow up with support for each of the three artists, shouting out to each of their individual accomplishments throughout the season. For me, the singer that stood out most was Cassadee Pope due to her strong sense of individuality, great vocal range and intense emotion evoked with every performance on the duration of the show.
As the announcement of The Voice season three winner was approaching, I grew more and more anxious to see who would come out on top. The finalists all had come so far since I first watched them compete in the blind auditions three months ago.
When Carson Daly, the host of the show, came out to announce the winner, I was up in the air. I had no idea who would take it all. Each one of them deserved the title of “The Voice”, and I would miss the season I had so greatly enjoyed. The crowd’s excitement grew as the butterflies in my stomach seized. It was time.
“One of you is ‘The Voice’ … the winner of season three of The Voice is … CASSADEE POPE!”
The crowd went crazy as Pope thanked everyone who had supported her in her musical pursuit. My favorite singer of the competition had won and season three of The Voice was now over. This exciting end made my anticipation for season four even greater.
The fourth season will come with several changes however. Two of the coaches, Aguilera and Green, will be replaced by singer and entertainer, Usher and singer-songwriter, Shakira. The spring premiere will be on March 25, 2013.
By Brittany Cornelison