RBHS Planetarium to host solar eclipse viewing party

Maui Danford
The photo shows the Planetarium’s Star Gazer. The Solar Eclipse Viewing party in the Planetarium, happening at Rock Bridge High School.

The RBHS planetarium is hosting a solar eclipse viewing party on Saturday, Oct. 14 from 10 a.m.-12 p.m.. The event will also include a variety of solar eclipse-related activities.

Planetarium Director Meaghann Stoelting said she is excited to put on this event, as it will be her first time managing a solar eclipse viewing party. Stoelting said a solar eclipse, which is when the moon crosses in front of the sun, is “a very special event,” and most people have very few opportunities to see them. 

“A solar eclipse is a rare event for a specific location. We are lucky that this school year, there are two partial solar eclipses we can see from Columbia,” Stoelting said. “The next solar eclipse visible in the U.S. isn’t until 2045. This may be someone’s only chance to view a very cool and rare celestial event.” 

The viewing party will include many activities for children related to the solar eclipse. Stoelting said she hopes events like this will help get more kids interested in astronomy. 

“[We will] have science crafts and activities, coloring and [will] give away lots of stickers and bookmarks,” Stoelting said.  “Of course, there will also be planetarium shows happening in the dome throughout the day, as well as viewings of the eclipse outside. This [event] showcases [how] astronomy can be for everyone. Something as simple as viewing the moon or the sun is doing astronomy.”

A solar eclipse is a rare event for a specific location. We are lucky that this school year, there are two partial solar eclipses we can see from Columbia. The next solar eclipse visible in the U.S. isn’t until 2045. This may be someone’s only chance to view a very cool and rare celestial event.”

— Planetarium Director Meaghann Stoelting

The next eclipse visible in Columbia will occur April 8, 2024. Stoelting said she is unsure if she will be able to host a viewing party for this eclipse, but she said she believes everyone should still make an effort to see it. 

“The eclipse in April is a total solar eclipse, which is even more rare than the annular eclipse happening on Saturday,” Stoelting said. “The path of totality [will be] very close to us in Columbia. Anyone in [South East] Missouri will be able to see [it in] totality. The sun will be about 95-98% covered for us in Columbia, which is a really big deal.”

Stoelting said she thinks solar eclipses are always worthwhile to see. She said people should try to see the eclipse on Saturday regardless of if they attend the viewing party. 

“Experiencing a rare event collectively is very special no matter what it is,” Stoelting said. “It brings people together to share an appreciation for something.” 

Are you attending the solar eclipse viewing party? Let us know in the comments below.