RBHS to hold annual club fair Sept. 13

Julia Kim, OP/Ed Editor

The annual RBHS club fair will be on Sept. 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. during A and B lunch. Tables will line the school’s commons, where students can explore the variety of clubs at the school and ask any questions they have to student leaders. 

Amanda Perkins, RBHS Student Activities Secretary, said the event aims to make club information accessible to the school and allow students to find their passion in an organic way.

“The club fair is a great way for RBHS clubs to get the word out to students about what they do,” Perkins said. “Students are able to access the information from each club in attendance in a convenient way, during their lunch break. We hope students connect with clubs that represent their interests and get involved in what they have to offer.”

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, junior Gauri Mehta, Co-President of Girls Who Code (GWC), said there has been a lack of student involvement with GWC. Mehta said she sees the club fair as a great opportunity to attract new members and also highlight the ways GWC reinvented itself over the summer. 

“GWC died out during online school and [after] the retirement of the old sponsor, so the club fair will be good to get the word out that the club is back,” Mehta said. “We have adjusted it so that anybody interested can join the club (not just girls) and are planning to have guest speakers this year about once a month to share their experiences in coding and how they apply their knowledge in their everyday work experiences, which will be really cool for new and existing members.”

Sophomore Jiya Shetty, Vice President of Communications of Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), said her participation in the club showed her how important extracurriculars are for students wanting to cultivate their passion and develop new relationships at RBHS.

Clubs enrich our high school and our community. Our student leaders connect not only to find common interests, but also to impact the world around them. The culture of RBHS is richer because of our club involvement.

— Amanda Perkins, Student Activities Secretary

“FBLA stands for ‘Future Business Leaders of America,’ but it’s so much more than that,” Shetty said. “Through FBLA, I have been able to compete [at] both the district and state level in events that I am passionate about, such as Business and Informational Technology. FBLA encourages its members to garner leadership skills, make friends, and learn a lot [about] whatever industry they are going to pursue a career in.” 

Participating in the club fair and joining different clubs, Perkins said, proves to be beneficial for both students and the school community as a whole. 

“Clubs enrich our high school and our community,” said Perkins. “Our student leaders connect not only to find common interests, but also to impact the world around them. The culture of RBHS is richer because of our club involvement.”

Are you attending the club fair? Let us know in the comments below.