Annual PowderPuff kicks off tomorrow

The 13th annual PowderPuff game, organized by Student Council (StuCo), will begin at 5:30 p.m. Thursday Nov. 14 on the football field.

PowderPuff, a touch flag football game for female students, helps fundraise for the senior activities of each year’s freshman class. There are four teams for each grade level; each team has 20 students, 10 on offense and 10 on defense. The event follows the setup of a traditional tournament bracket, with the juniors and freshmen competing first followed by the seniors and sophomores. The winners of each contest will play each other in the championship match.

Student Council sponsor Kelley Wittenborn said planning for the event starts far in advance.

“Student Council runs PowderPuff, and we usually start discussing it after Homecoming is over,” she said. “Two StuCo members from each grade volunteer to be captains, and the eight captains are the committee that runs PowderPuff. The freshmen also run the concession stands, and that is their class fundraiser.”

The registration fee to play is $20 per person, and the money goes towards buying shirts for the players.

Junior Peyton Brooks, a class representative, said she participated in the event for a variety of reasons.

“I wanted to be closer with my friends and just hang out with other girls in my grade,” Brooks said. “So, I decided to play, and I’ve been playing since my freshman year.”

For Brooks, PowderPuff created many quality memories over the past two years, and she plans on continuing to participate during her senior year.

“I would recommend this to anyone because it’s really fun,” Brooks said. “You get to learn more about football while having fun with your friends or even girls you didn’t know.”

Senior Julia LaHue, another class representative, has been a captain since freshman year. She said she’s always loved football, and PowderPuff gives her a way to enjoy the game even more.

“I love having fun with my friends while playing a sport that I don’t normally get to be a part of,” LaHue said. “I think the most exciting thing is the feeling when you make a touchdown or interception. I love being able to laugh with my friends and celebrate the wins.”

As an avid football fan, Wittenborn shares the same passion for football as LaHue. Wittenborn said she enjoys watching the girls “get into it” and see a competitive atmosphere develop.

“This is just a fun, easy-going event. Girls from each grade level can sign up to play. . . and they get to participate in an event of camaraderie and fun-loving competition between the grade levels,” Wittenborn said. “It’s nice to see the friendly competition and intensity that the players bring to the event.”

Entering her final year, LaHue said she looks forward to making more memories and walking away on top of the other competition. LaHue said she recommends others to sign up for PowderPuff in the future.

‘“It’s not about being athletic or knowledgeable about football; it’s more about being enthusiastic to play and having fun with your friends,” LaHue said. “I’m looking forward to a senior class win and celebrating with my team.”

What are your thoughts on PowderPuff? Let us know in the comments below.