Softball makes historic run to finish third at state

Junior+center-fielder+Maddie+Snider+rounds+third+base+during+the+BSS+game.+Snider+was+one+of+the+only+two+runs+scored+by+the+Bruins+during+this+game.++Photo+by+Maddie+Murphy+
Junior center-fielder Maddie Snider rounds third base during the BSS game. Snider was one of the only two runs scored by the Bruins during this game. Photo by Maddie Murphy
[vc_custom_heading text=”Bruins lose to Blue Springs South 3-2, then dominate Northwest Cedar Hill 7-0″ google_fonts=”font_family:Roboto%3A100%2C100italic%2C300%2C300italic%2Cregular%2Citalic%2C500%2C500italic%2C700%2C700italic%2C900%2C900italic|font_style:400%20regular%3A400%3Anormal”]The softball team and crowd forgot the holiday of ghosts and candies as they set their sights on the Class 4 State Championship. The Bruins boarded their charter bus at 5:30 p.m. Thursday Oct. 31, making the trip down to Springfield the night before they played.

The Bruins’ would take on the Blue Spring South (BSS) Jaguars at 10 a.m. Friday Nov. 1. In preparation the team watched film from the Jaguars sectional game and received review charts of the opposing team statistics that helped formulate strategy on how to play them.

The team met in the hotel lobby at 8 a.m., the day of the fated game, and headed to Killian Sports Complex, where the state championship tournament would take place. The complex is also home to the Missouri State Softball team. After taking their necessary team photo, the Bruins received an hour in one of the two cages on the site.

Due to previous weather conditions the games was delayed by 30 minutes as the grounds crew continuously worked on the infield. However, the outfield was in no such luck, and the game started with puddles and mud covering the majority of the outfield.

Junior pitcher Ella Schouten shut down the explosive Jaguar offense in the first inning, allowing junior center-fielder Maddie Snider to come out firing. Snider led off the inning with a double, then scored on a run batted in (RBI) single by freshmen right-fielder Anna Christ. This put the Bruins up 1-0 going into the top of the second inning.

Once again Schouten shut down the Jaguars and give her offense another opportunity to fight. Junior designated player (DP) Maren Jones got walked, and freshman catcher Abby Hay capitalized, hitting a double to right-center. Jones scored, going first base to home on the play, and the Bruins were up 2-0 going into the top of the third inning.

The game remained 2-0 as the two teams continued to battle against each other, with strikeouts from both teams. No one would score until the top of the sixth inning. The Jaguars reached the top of their line up for the third time, and they were ready to make adjustments. After a lead off single from their eighth batter and another from their ninth, there were two runners on with no outs, and their lead off hitter was up to bat.

A double from the Jaguars cut the Bruin lead 2-1 and left runners on second and third base with no outs. Schouten secured the first out of the inning with a strikeout against their second hitter. The third Jaguar batter hit a double scoring the two runs needed to put BSS ahead 3-2. Schouten got the team out of the inning, but with only an inning and a half left in the game the Bruins were crunched on time.

Despite their efforts the Bruins were unable to secure another run to take the game into extra innings and BSS would advance to the state championship game. Head coach Lisa Simmons encouraged the girls to keep their energy level up as they had one game left to play, which was the third place game, starting in just over an hour and a half.

“I was mad, sad and just disappointed. I wanted so badly for our kids to be in that championship game because they deserved to feel that success,” said head coach Lisa Simmons on her reaction to the BSS game. “With that being said, I really had to check my emotions after that. I knew I had to suck it up because we were fortunate to have another game and I needed to lead this team by example.”

At 1 p.m. the Bruins once again took to the field to take on Northwest Cedar Hill High School (NWCH). After a battle during the first three innings, the Bruins would find themselves up 3-0 going into the top of the fourth inning. Singles by Snider and junior left-fielder Jillian Larkin started the inning and allowed the Bruins a 1-0 lead. Senior shortstop Madison White followed Snider with a two run homerun to put the Bruins in their 3-0 position.

Not scoring again until the fifth inning the Bruins once again turned on the heat. With crucial hits from Snider, White and Schouten the team advanced their lead to 7-0, the final score of the game. Neither team is able to score in the sixth or seventh and RBHS wins over NWCH. Placing them third in the state. A title the RBHS softball program has not seen before. The seniors received the trophy and shared nostalgic smiles.

“This [game] was expected to be an easy win but [we] just needed to keep our head in it. I was upset but this was my last high school game and I needed to have fun,” said White. “I did the best I could and kept going. We won the game and I got to make a few more memories with my best friends. The girls this year have been a huge support system and really made me enjoy my last year.”

BSS would go on to win the state title with a run rule win over Ray-Pec.

What are your thoughts on the softball team’s historic season? Let us know in the comment below.