Girls’ soccer kicks off season at jamboree

Senior forward Grace Davis creates space between the ball and an HHS midfielder at the jamboree. “The jamboree is important for the team because it’s the first time we’ll all get to really play together and get an idea of what our team is going to look like this year,” Davis said. “Hopefully we also use it as an opportunity to come out and show the other teams the kind of competition we’re gonna be this season.”

The girls’ soccer team opened their season at the jamboree Friday, March 8. The Bruins joined Battle High School (BHS) and Hickman High School (HHS) at BHS to play their first competitive minutes as a team. The jamboree showcased a transformed RBHS team, that lost seven seniors as well as their head coach since last season. So far, this year’s seniors have been adjusting to the new dynamics while leading the team.

“A completely new line of defense who is still learning to work together would probably be our biggest weakness,” senior defender Alexis Kliethermes. “Our greatest strength is the level of energy and hard work each and every girl puts into how they play. I am amazed at this year’s group of girls and how we really give everything we’ve got.”
The seniors are also adjusting to their new coach, Scott Wittenborn, who has coached the RBHS boys’ soccer team since 2014.
I have really enjoyed [Wittenborn’s] coaching style,” Kliethermes said. “He is someone who wants to better every single player and will tell you if you need to work on something. It’s definitely a quality that I think will greatly improve our team.
Like Kliethermes, who said the jamboree still gives her a “bittersweet feeling” despite losing so many teammates, senior forward Grace Davis is embracing her final season as a Bruin, despite how different this season may be.
We’re all willing to put in the effort as individual players,” Davis said. “But we haven’t really come together as a team completely. . . I think that with a little more time, we’re going to have a great team this year.
Davis believes the jamboree is a way to bring the new team together. Although learning to play under a new coach has been hard for Davis so far, she sees the potential in her transformed team.
I think no matter what, if we play how we know we can, it won’t really matter who’s coaching,” Davis said.

Did you attend the jamboree? Let us know in the comments below..