Boba’s popularity on the rise in Columbia

Boba tea. photo by George Frey
Boba tea. photo by George Frey

Pop, shwoop, suck, squish, these are all sounds one can hear at Bubble Cup Tea Zone, a locally owned Boba establishment that opened up in 2006. Originally from Taiwan and popular among mostly Asian Americans or Asian exchange students, the origins of these delectable little bubbles of joy go back to the early 1980s.
When fruit, cold milk, candied yams, and of course tapioca bubbles, were mixed together by no one knows for sure. However, Liu Han Chi, a teahouse owner in Taichung, Taiwan, claims to have invented the popular drink and refutes his claim to this day. What we do know though is that the drink has drastically risen in popularity in just the past five years.

“I have seen the popularity of Boba Tea rise recently. But in Asia, it’s been popular for years; however, it’s becoming more and more popular in Columbia. Since we have changed the decor, I think that has created more of a welcoming atmosphere for people,” Manager at Bubblecup Tea Zone Nelly Boyd said. “There is a difference between American boba milk tea and Taiwanese boba milk tea. Taiwanese Milk Tea is more Creamy, and we sell a version called Royal Milk, which is more an homage to that style and flavor. I’d say you can see more European influences in the American/Western style version (aka Boba Milk Tea).”
Zain Ibdah, a junior, is what one would call a Boba aficionado and a frequent patron of Bubble Cup Tea Zone.
“Boba is just really chewy, soft and sweet, Ibdah said. “It’s not just the drink. It’s really a relaxing environment. It’s always been a diverse crowd [at Bubblecup], but now that I think about it, I guess it has attracted a more diverse crowd recently.”
In Taiwan, the Mandarin name of the drink can be translated to ‘Pearl Milk Tea,’ and in Asia alone, it has managed to spread to other nations in the region, like Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, South Korea and Japan.
Even in Europe Boba has become a popular drink, with restaurants in Paris, London, Berlin, Madrid, and many other areas. However, with many East Asians migrating to the West throughout history, primarily to the US West Coast, the drink has spread beyond Asia, and of course, to 9th Street in downtown Columbia.
“Boba is truly a world of its own,” Boyd said. “Once you’re introduced to it, it opens up a whole new world of flavors and tastes. Since middle school, it’s become a relaxing activity for me. It’s something friends can bond over. There are so many options and so many kinds of tea, you really can’t go wrong.”
So, have you tried Boba Tea?