Classes disrupted because of medical emergency

Monroe and Serio talk about family and interests outside their civic studies classroom

At 3:10 p.m. today there was a disturbance as a result of a medical emergency. Principal Dr. Jennifer Rukstad sent an email to teachers telling them to keep students in classrooms until the area of the event cleared. Nurse Lisa Griggs was quickly called to respond to the situation.
“Anytime we have [these types of emergencies], we try to protect the people that are involved by making sure that no one sees the situation,” Dr. Rukstad said. “We cleared hallways and asked teachers to keep students in their classrooms in order to protect the person who was being taken to an ambulance.”
A report from the nurse’s office alerted Dr. Rukstad and other administration about the incident.
Sophomore Priya Barua witnessed the beginnings of the emergency while in AUT fourth period.
“Me and my friend … were sitting in front of the [chemistry] room waiting for our friend. This girl ran down the hallway and said, ‘Somebody grab the nurse.’ She was in a panic … Then we were like, ‘We should help.’ As soon as she said that we were planning to go and try to help her,” Barua said. “As soon as we were about to [help], the nurse came in, so we backed off and let the nurse take over. Then we went straight into [chemistry teacher Stephanie] Harman’s room.”
In response to the incident, many students theorized about what occurred. Dr. Rukstad said that while she understands why there is speculation, her priority and that of other administrators is to protect students.
“I don’t know what the rumors are, but I can tell you that the person that was involved is OK but did require medical attention,” Dr. Rukstad said. “I just ask for students to understand that if they were in this situation, what would they like for us to say about them? We’re always looking to protect students’ privacy. That’s why I can’t really share much.”