King’s Daughters excites Columbians

The+Kings+Daughters+Festival+benefits+several+charities+while+also+providing+shoppers+with+a+wide+array+of+gifts+and+treats+to+choose+from.+Photo+used+with+permission.+
The King’s Daughters Festival benefits several charities while also providing shoppers with a wide array of gifts and treats to choose from. Photo used with permission.
The King’s Daughters Festival benefits several charities while also providing shoppers with a wide array of gifts and treats to choose from. Photo by Lynn Puckett
This weekend (Nov. 9-12), the annual King’s Daughters Festival will take place at the Holiday Inn Expo Center. This is an event that showcases merchandise from over 100 local vendors. Ranging from handmade jewelry to homemade soaps and candles, this festival is sure to spark interest for hundreds of Columbians. 
Jolene Schulz, a tri-chair for this event said in an email interview that all vendors will be showcasing spectacular merchandise.
“For 23 years, the King’s Daughters of Columbia has sponsored one of the best holiday shopping extravaganzas in the Mid-Missouri area,” Schulz said. “Whether you are looking for the perfect gift for a special person or for ways to spice up your home for the holidays, you are likely to find what you need at the King’s Daughters Holiday Festival.”
Not only is this a great outing for those looking to get a head start on their holiday shopping, the Festival also benefits multiple charities. The King’s Daughters of Columbia, a Christian interdenominational group consisting of over 540 members, organizes this event. One of the charities that this local festival benefits is the King’s Daughters Dental Aid Program.

“Through the generosity of 51 local dentists … dental services [are provided] to approximately 120 students in Columbia Public Schools who do not have access to such care,” Schulz said. “Members of the King’s Daughter’s fund coordinate the program and transport the children to and from the dentist.”

However, this dental program is not the only place that the profits benefit – they also go to aide one of the the King’s Daughters’ nursing homes in Mexico, MO. This home has been open since January 1905 and runs on donations from private donors. According to www.kdholidayfestival.com, anyone entering the Home can stay until death, as has always been the case.  

“The King’s Daughters home in Mexico, MO is licensed for 45 female residents under two levels of care:  Intermediate Care and Resident Care II,” Schulz said. “The Home has always been a private-pay facility – accepting no state or federal funding.  We believe the King’s Daughters Home is the longest singly owned and operated home in Missouri.”

Entertainment throughout the festival is provided by the Hickman High School String Quartet, TRYPS and others. Shoppers are sure to enjoy their time browsing the aisles as they are put into the holiday mood by the sweet Christmas music.
Junior Kristen Buster attended the Festival on Saturday morning and said that she was very impressed by the uniqueness that the different booths brought to the event.

“My favorite thing was walking through the wide variety of crafts with my family and friends,” Buster said.

Though the first day  is coming to a close, there is still an opportunity for shoppers to get a look at the unique merchandise the vendors have to offer. The Expo Center will remain open today (Nov. 10) until 5 p.m. and will reopen tomorrow from 11 a.m.-4 p.m.

By Brittany Cornelison
For a list of vendors that will be showcased at the King’s Daughters Festival, click here.