True/False DIY Day sign ups come to a close

True/ False’s 2016 honored guest and documentary subject, Sonita.

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]his Friday, Feb. 10, is the last day to sign up for True/False film festival’s Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Day. According to the True/False website, the event is a free, all-day arts workshop for all Columbia Public Schools high schools. The day will start at the Missouri Theater for an exclusive pre-showing of a featured True/False documentary.
“The [students] watch a great documentary film this year, I am not your Negro. It’s about civil rights and the struggle for equality that persists to this day. Then they go to film making activities of their choosing,” RBHS True/False education liaison and senior Bridger Bjornstrom said. “I recommend they have fun and take the opportunity to meet directors and artists. This is a great opportunity for students to experience the True/False film festival without having to buy tickets to the shows.”
DIY Day has been a True/False staple for the past three years, ever since the event’s conception in 2015. The event is put on by the entire festival staff in unison with another youth program supported by True/False, the True/False film boot camp.

“I signed up because I really enjoyed DIY Day last year,” senior Maryam Bledsoe said. “I thought the events were really unique opportunities. I also got to meet so many people at DIY day, and I want to have the same experience again.”
Another RBHS True/False intern and volunteer, senior Sarah Bai, recommends students who are nervous or unsure of whether to sign up for DIY Day to give it a chance.
“This day is for students to enjoy True/False for everything it is and have a chance to explore all it offers,” Bai said. “Sometimes the documentaries can get expensive so I recommend you sign up for things you’re interested in and do it with your friends. It’s nice to have a whole free day where everyone can experience the film festival because with all the free films and other opportunities to meet and learn about the process of making art or film you are getting a really rare opportunity and I always have so much fun [at the event].”
More than just a fun time though, Bai said that DIY Day offers a lot to its young audience about perspective and any future artistic endeavors.
“It’s very important to teach kids that couldn’t normally attend the festival about art and film making as well as people who are interested in becoming filmmakers themselves,” Bai said. “An opportunity as cool and available as this isn’t something you get very often. I hope kids know to take advantage of it.”
Click here to sign up. Quick because spots are limited!