Football falls in rough loss against Jefferson City

Senior wide receiver Malik Gleason edges his way to victory in a game against the DeSmet Spartans on Aug. 26. Unable to capitalize on their momentum, the Bruins fell to the Jays in dramatic fashion, 61-21, on Sept. 23. Photo credit to Yousuf El-Jayyousi

Any hopes of the RBHS football team redeeming their season were squashed yesterday evening after they fell in embarrassing fashion to the Jefferson City Jays 61-21. This becomes the third game this season that the Bruins have lost by over 30 points, capping off a rough first half of the season. Now, going into the sixth week of the season, RBHS is 1-5 and looks to be at the bottom of the district bracket come time for the playoffs.
Only four hours earlier, the Bruin fanbase had hopes that the 48-21 blowout victory against the Hickman Kewpies could catapult the team into a close contest against the Jays. Unfortunately, the opposite soon became the truth. Allowing the Jays to score a whopping 48 points before the half brought an end to the mental contest early for the Bruins and crushed any possible thoughts of a comeback with two quarters left to play. The pain of a rout was only made worse when Jefferson City returned a punt for a touchdown in the third, right after a two yard touchdown by senior running back Kian Pilot.
Pilot continued his success from last week’s spectacular showcase against the Kewpies, but, in the end, it wasn’t enough to bring the rest of the team to the Jays’ level of execution.
“We weren’t together tonight, which was pretty obvious,” Pilot said. “It seems like every time we got something going something else would happen, but that’s just football.”  
While the pile of losses to district and state rivals has continued to grow bigger, coach Collier’s positivity has not diminished. Though the loss would have been demoralizing to some, Collier has continued his message of “it’s not over until it’s over” and is persistent about working towards the postseason.
“Losses like this one are tough, especially against rivals, but we move on,” Collier said. “I don’t expect us to hold on to this for too long because we haven’t in the past with games like these, but nonetheless we will learn from it along the way to playoffs.”
Looking forward to next week’s Homecoming Game against the Helias Catholic Crusaders on Sept. 30, Collier continues to push for a more consistent production from the Bruins in hopes of salvaging the last few games of the season.
“Helias is a great team, so we have to play great football against them.” Collier said. “That is the only way we can win.”
Do you think the Bruins will be able to hold their own against Helias next week? Comment your thoughts below and let us know!