Bruin Girls keep the magic of Santa alive

The Bruin Girls pose with Santa after serving breakfast to the attending children. The event served as a fundraiser to Orlando, Florida next year.
This past Saturday the RBHS dance team, the Bruin Girls, hosted the long-time tradition of Breakfast with Santa, the first time the seniors did not host it in years. Taking the mantle from Student Council, the Bruin Girls decided to do the fundraiser for a number of reasons, one of them being that the event was almost canceled.
“Student Council had been hosting [Breakfast with Santa] for the past few years, but decided to drop it this year because it was a lot of work for such little profit,” senior Kylee Tarbox Tarbox said. “Once we heard Breakfast with Santa was not going on this year, my coaches asked if we could host it instead and RBHS said yes.”

Freshman Paityn Alexander works with some of the children at a crafts station during Breakfast with Santa. The Bruin Girls took on the event after student council decided to forgo it.
The Bruin Girls mainly put on the event because they needed a fundraising opportunity for their trip to Orlando, Florida for their national championships.
When preparing for the breakfast, the team had began setting up for the event after school Friday until 7:30 p.m. They designed the school to make it look like a Christmas wonderland.
“On Friday we put up Christmas Trees, decorated the windows and had put up many decorations to make RBHS look like the North Pole, ” senior Megan Sherman said. “We’re definitely happy we did it because it was going to get cancelled and many parents were upset that it wasn’t going to happen this year since they have made it a family tradition.”
During the breakfast, the girls performed three routines to open up the event, and served pancakes with fruit as the meal. They also had multiple stations for the kids to make take-home crafts. With a turnout of around 200 people, members like senior Bria Trent were more than satisfied with their project.
“It was a lot of work but I definitely enjoyed it just because the people that came to the breakfast looked really happy and it was a good way to get involved with the community,” Trent said. “I think the kids had a really good time, and I hope they come back next year.”