The Old Town, a new day

Old town, known as the birthplace of Cali, boasts a vibrant collections of small businesses and shops.
Old town, known as the birthplace of Cali, boasts a vibrant collection of small businesses and shops. Photos by Ross Parks

In the center of Old Town, sits a state historic park, filled with Californiaesc plants and flowers.
In the center of Old Town sits a state historic park filled with California-esque plants and flowers.

Small shops, holes in the wall, and knick knack stores lines the streets of old town.
Small shops, holes-in-the-wall and knickknack stores lines the streets of Old Town.

Though the streets are lines with gardens of cacti and other fragrant spring flowers, this one  boasted its size within the small square.
Though the streets are lined with gardens of cacti and various fragrant spring flowers, this one flaunts its size within the small square.

A member of a restaurant is first sang to and then chatted up by a member of the eatery's mariachi band
A member of a restaurant is first serenaded and then chatted up by a member of the eatery’s mariachi band.
Some early blooms pop out in the state park along the fence line.
Some early blooms pop out in the Old Town San Diego State Park along the fence line as shoppers walk along the street.
Even alleys are not immune to the vendors who set up shop to lure more people through to by their wares.
Even alleys are not immune to the vendors who set up shop and lure more people through to buy their wares.

A local bar within the square warms guests with tiki-style torches as they drink the night away.

The streets probably never  completely empty, as the night grows, so does the crowd.
The streets seem to never completely empty. As the night lingers on, so does the crowd.