Southpaw: What Next?

Photo by Mikaela Acton, Art by Alex Carranza
photo by Mikaela Acton, art by Alex Carranza
Dreams for the future fill our minds from the time we enter preschool. Fantasies of potential colleges, professions and lives grip our thoughts throughout the years of primary and secondary school as we grow hope for prosperity, happiness and success in adulthood.
However, these dreams may not be created of our own imagination. As teens we especially experience the competitive nature of high school, college applications and the job market. At the same time, we start to discover our definition of success and the path we must follow to achieve stability after college or even right out of high school. With the real world at our doorsteps, planning for our lives in the adult world becomes our first priority.
We set our goals, envision our dreams and focus on our ambitions, hoping they will bring us joy. Even through our common goal, the one universal, education, can be vastly different for each of us. School can help us cultivate our dreams or it can suppress our ambitions. School is not our only source of education, however. Faith is a learning experience in itself, and as we grow we must balance the religious ideology of our families with our personal goals for our future.
After years spent exploring our abilities in high school classes, we find our strengths and weaknesses and determine what we are truly passionate about before we leave the safety of adolescence and enter the world in pursuit of success, a long life and a prosperous future. Our educational backgrounds, social classes and religious ideologies are vastly different, but we can overcome these rifts if we look at what connects us.
By Emily Franke and Sophie Whyte
Redirecting… Click here if stuck.