15 Days of Torment: Day 7 While you were Sleeping

Image used under fair use doctrine.
While you were Sleeping” was actually a good movie. It’s what I would call “cute.” I could guess what would end up happening at the very end, yet I enjoyed every minute of it. Plus, Sandra Bullock (“All About Steve”) is one of my favorite actors and having her in it made it even better. Even though the end was a little predictable, the storyline was pretty interesting and had some unexpected twists.
Lucy, a lonely fare collector for the Chicago railway, sees Peter, a handsome commuter, every day and has a secret crush on him. Her fantasy life with him becomes an almost-reality when, one day, Peter gets mugged and pushed onto the train tracks. After rescuing him, she accompanies him to the hospital where he is in a coma. When a nurse over hears Lucy fantasizing and saying “I was going to marry him,” she misinterprets the situation and tells his family that Lucy was his fiancée.
Now, unable to tell everyone the truth and caught up in everyone’s unconditional love for her, Lucy spends Christmas with Peter’s family, particularly his younger brother Jack. Jack starts to get feelings for Lucy, and she herself can’t help but fall for him. When Peter finally wakes up, his family tells him all about Lucy, and when he can’t remember ever being engaged, his family just assumes he has amnesia. Putting off telling the family her true feelings until the wedding day, Lucy objects in the last moment and tells the family the whole truth.
After watching “The Proposal though, the scene of Sandra Bullock stopping a wedding to tell the whole truth seemed cliché and a little redundant (although this movie came out first). Despite that fact, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this movie.
By Jude El Buri