Loss of Pujols leaves fans mourning

After helping win two  World Series for the Cardinals, Albert Pujols, whom many say is baseball’s biggest star, will sign with the Los Angeles Angels, leaving the St. Louis Cardinals and their fans feeling a sense of loss.
“I’m kind of at a loss for words, as long as I’ve been a Cardinals fan, he’s been there, and now that he’s gone…” sophomore Patrick Preston said hours after learning of Pujols’ departure.
Preston isn’t the only one moping around the Media Center. Students and the faculty are appalled at what they see as a traitor’s move.
Pujols, who turns 32 next month, had spent his entire baseball career with the Cardinals, who drafted him in the 13th round in 1999. He reached three World Series with the Cards and was on the championship team in both 2006 and 2011.
“He basically sold out!” senior Kellen Little said. “He [Pujols] said in 2003 that he would stay with the Cards for life, and that he didn’t care about money, but he decided to sell out and leave.”
Yesterday, the three-time NL MVP agreed to a $250 million contract with the Angels for 10 years, also signing off on a full no-trade clause.
Senior Ray Ferris agreed with Little, calling  Pujols a “major sell-out.”
“There are three things that really matter in this world: [the first], I will not say, but the other two are money and power… Money really (does) talk,” he said.
Not everyone was disappointed with the trade, however. David Egan, who teaches U.S. history and pop culture, could not have been happier with the results of this trade-off.
“My initial reaction (to Pujols’ departure) was just, elation,” the loyal Chicago Cubs fan said. “Selfishly speaking, though, Pujols was dominating the Cubs in the past, so it’s nice to know that my team doesn’t have to go up against him.”
After a decade of devotion to the Cards, Pujols was faced with the decision of where to end up. The St. Louis Cardinals offered their star player and nine-time NL All-Star a 10-year contract in competition with the Miami Marlins.
Miami dropped out of the bidding after signing free-agent Mark Buehrle to a four-year contract. The Angels, along with an unidentified mystery team, entered the bidding later Wednesday.
Read the Things I Hate Today blog on the topic of backstabbers.