Counseling department to hold virtual course fair

Zay Yontz, Features Editor

The RBHS counseling department will hold a course fair virtually on Zoom Jan. 25 from 5:30 to 7:00pm. The event aims to help students choose their classes for the upcoming year. Each department will have their own Zoom where students and parents can ask questions. Counselor Carrie Mckee said it is important for all students to attend the fair to better understand the available courses.

“Teachers will be able to help answer specific questions about the class and can also help guide students to the appropriate level if needed,” Mckee said. “For example, if a student isn’t sure if they should take Advanced Placement (AP) World or regular World Studies as a sophomore, they can talk with their current Civics Studies teacher and an AP World teacher to get questions answered about the course content. This will help the student and family to make a well-informed decision.”

Students found the course fair beneficial in guiding them to select their classes. Junior Evrim Agca attended the in-person course fair when he was a freshman, and his favorite part was learning about the classes he planned to take his sophomore year.

It’s the best place for students to hear from teachers about course content and expectations and ask questions they may have before completing their Course Request Forms. Changes to requests will not be made after March 3 (this includes making elective schedule changes in the fall), so it’s really important that students make thoughtful, informed decisions about their classes before completing their Course Request Form.

— Director of School Counseling Rachel Reed

“The course fair had a major impact on the decisions I made in regards to my freshman year course selections,” Agca said. “Most importantly, it allowed me to formulate a schedule that would be balanced—not overloaded with either high commitment or low commitment courses. Being able to talk with instructors at the course fair allowed me to know classwork, homework and testing policies in advance.” 

The counseling team is encouraging all students to attend the fair so they choose the right classes. Students will not be able to make changes to their courses after March 3 Director of School Counseling, Rachel Reed said.

“It’s the best place for students to hear from teachers about course content and expectations and ask questions they may have before completing their Course Request Forms,” Reed said. “Changes to requests will not be made after March 3 (this includes making elective schedule changes in the fall), so it’s really important that students make thoughtful, informed decisions about their classes before completing their Course Request Form.”

Although all of the classes are listed in the registration guide, the guide is unable to give a full picture of what classes will look like, so it’s important to attend, Reed said. On top of this, she said, it is the best time to communicate with teachers about the course.

“Communication with the instructor is the best way to know whether or not you would enjoy taking the course,” Agca said. “So I would highly recommend [the course fair] for students that are still looking for classes.” 

Will you be attending the course fair? Let us know in the comments below.