Day 26

Day+26

Happy Easter! Today is April 12.

The cat is officially out of the bag when it comes to my super top-secret video project. I woke up at 8:05 this morning and (after tossing on casually nice clothes for virtual church) raced downstairs to publish my project to YouTube. During the course of the last week, I reached out to RBHS students for their help creating a birthday video for Principal Jacob Sirna. He has done so much for the school and its students this year. As disappointing as not experiencing an in-person graduation, typical prom and other end-of-year activities is for the class of 2020, I can’t begin to imagine how hard it must be for Sirna because this is his first year at RBHS.

For Easter, my parents made my brother and me baskets with stuffed animals, candy and a small gift. Photo by Bailey Stover.

Thursday afternoon I checked my messages to see if anyone had shared a video with me yet, and I saw I only had about four responses. Yikes! In an effort to not have a 20-second-long video, I reached out again in group chats and to my friends asking for people to send in kind, funny, sincere messages. To my joy and surprise, I received 48 videos by the time I had to start uploading the video to YouTube Saturday afternoon. Because of my perpetually slow internet, the process didn’t finish until this morning. 

I had to “go to church” via livestream at 8:30 a.m., but I managed to post the video on Bearing News’ YouTube account, make a post on the website and send it out via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I also emailed Sirna a link personally so I could make sure he had direct access to the video. The responses and views for the project were exciting and inspiring. I am so glad this one message of positivity was able to brighten so many people’s days.

After making the pie crust and first filling layer, I made a chocolate custard to spread over the Mississippi Mud Pie. Photo by Bailey Stover.

Even though my mom and I couldn’t attend Easter Sunday mass in person this year, we still wore semi-fancy outfits out of tradition and habit. The service was nice, and once it was done I brought us each a Dove chocolate (which we’ve probably had since Valentine’s Day) to break our Lent with, or at least the part we both gave up this year: sweets.

I had originally planned for us to do crêpes for breakfast, but because of my family’s varying levels of sleepiness we decided to postpone the meal until a later date. I spent much of my day relaxing and watching Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Around 3:50 p.m. I ended up nodding off and slept until roughly 4:30 p.m. When I woke up, I decided I wanted to make (or at least attempt to make) Mississippi Mud Pie. When 63 Diner was still open, that was my go-to dessert each time we went. I thought the recipe would be easy and ready in time for us to enjoy the treat after dinner. How wrong I was.

Before putting the pie into the fridge to chill overnight, I spread on the custard layer and wrapped it in plastic wrap. Photo by Bailey Stover.

Apparently I should read the directions all the way through because after baking the first part of the pie (35 minutes) and letting it cool (90 minutes), I then had to add the custard topping and let the entire pie chill (at least four hours). So, by my calculations, the absolute earliest we can eat the pie will be at 12:06 a.m. Monday. Nevertheless, by the time I had realized the error of my ways, I was already too far into the recipe to quit. From the various chocolate-covered spoons I licked (and then cleaned), I am excited for how the end result will taste. I hope everyone else likes it, but if not, that just means there’s more for me.

With the school week starting back up tomorrow, I’m resolving myself to have a stronger work ethic going forward than I have for the last few weeks. I intend to focus my studies on Advanced Placement (AP) Calculus AB to prepare for the AP test. I also need to start and finish reading a chapter for AP Psychology, so in the next few days I plan to make some significant headway in both those classes. By finding a new balance between leisure and academic work, I’m hoping to create more routine in my life and keep my mind sharp going into AP exam season. Still, having days like today where my biggest worry is how to fold whipped egg whites into batter is a nice change of pace from the typical anxiety-inducing rat race I run during the standard school year.

“See the light in others, and treat them as if that is all you see.” ― Dr. Wayne Dyer, American author