America needs more unity, less division

Art by Sophie Froese

Division concerning political beliefs in the United States has been a problem since the drafting of the constitution; however, it has increased substantially in recent years. An unfavorable view of the conflicting party has more than doubled for each side since 1994, and is now at 80 percent for both sides, according to a Pew Research Poll. 

The Father of America didn’t believe in political parties

The more this disunity increases, the less citizens better the country, instead feuding over whose ideology is correct. The longer the nation remains apathetic, the less progress will occur, ultimately resulting in the nation’s downfall. In 1789, when the people of the U.S. elected George Washington to be the first president of the United States, America had no political parties. This lack of partisanship was short-lived. Merely a couple years later in 1791, Alexander Hamilton created the Federalist Party. Federalists desired a powerful central government while anti-federalists, led by Thomas Jefferson, supported states’ rights. Washington himself disliked the whole idea of parties. In fact, in his farewell address, he made it a point that he dreaded the spread of them and feared “continual mischiefs of the spirit of party.” He thought it would lead to “the alternate domination” of each party, both out for revenge on the other using the method of reactionary political policies, which are policies made to impede the progress of the country in order to favor one’s party or ideologies. 

Current event examples

More than 200 years later, Washington is precisely right in his prediction of the outcome of political parties. Democrats and Republicans are so engulfed in their own endeavors, some would rather see the opposing party fail than the country succeed. 

For example, in the past Democrats in office called to impeach President Donald Trump because of his alleged involvement with Russia and the tampering of the 2016 election, without substantial enough evidence to make such accusations. The House of Representatives voted to impeach President Trump on Dec. 18 with only a little more than a year left in his term on allegations that he urged Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden and his son, lobbyist Hunter Biden. 

Not only does the impeachment process put the country on a standstill to worry about an issue that the 2020 election could resolve, but it also shows politicians in office are more interested in taking a party down and regaining their power than doing what’s in the best interest of the nation, which is allowing it to move forward. 

Equally as worrying, in September 2016, former President Barack Obama had a clear picture of what Russian operatives were up to during the 2016 election, but he did not want to publicize the information without support, afraid of looking like he was trying to sway the election himself by using classified intelligence to cause a President Trump loss. For that reason, he approached Sen. Mitch McConnell, a Republican, to unify the parties against the Russians trying to affect the election. McConnell, however, refused to cooperate. If McConnell had been thinking for his country and not his party, he would have worked with Obama against a threat to the democracy of America and possibly put an end to Russian tampering before it could do any damage. It is actions such as those that make for a toxic political environment and regresses the country’s progress. 

Study on American disunity

Moreover, there is a growing trend of people unwilling to consider the opposition’s point of view. Two hundred two subjects, both conservative and liberal, were given two options concerning the matter of same-sex marriage. They had the ability to read and reply to eight statements that went against their opinion and be entered into a $10 drawing, or they could read and respond to eight declarations that asserted their opinion but only allowed them to win $7. The amount of money is significant because the study is supposed to test how stubborn people are on their beliefs. About two-thirds selected the $7 choice that reaffirmed their position, according to a study administered by academic psychologists, This study shows people are so set in their beliefs that they can’t even stand the thought of listening to someone else’s opinion. Without the ability to work with another that has a contrasted opinion, not near as much will be achieved. 

We have more similarities than differences

What Americans tend to forget is we are all striving for the same goal: making America the finest it can feasibly be. People often see the opposing party as an enemy rather than a teammate, and we forget how alike we truly are. On one hand, I have an aunt who loves the New England Patriots, the Red Sox and every other Boston team. She is considerate, caring and affectionate. Once, she took me to a Red Sox game with her for my first time at Fenway park, one of my greatest memories as a young person. She is a liberal. On the other hand, her brother, my uncle, also loves all Boston athletics. He shows great hospitality to me whenever I visit his home and always makes sure he gets me the perfect gift for my birthday, just like my aunt. He, too, assisted in getting me to a Red Sox game. He is a conservative. While they are members of two parties on opposite sides of the spectrum, my aunt and uncle are exceptionally alike and have indistinguishable passions. Just because they have differing political attitudes doesn’t mean they aren’t both good people and can’t get along with one another. 

Division at RBHS

Some students at RBHS can’t seem to grasp this concept. It seems like the masses prefer to hang out with people who have matching views. People seek out others like themselves for many psychological reasons, but that’s no excuse to ostracize people who possess adverse outlooks. Be it eating lunch together, doing group projects in U.S. history or simply socializing with one another, I rarely see students who have differing views congregating. Each clique shares the same perspective. Once I heard someone say she didn’t have any friends with conflicting beliefs. That makes sense from the outside — why be around people that you’re going to argue with? The problem with solely being with people you agree with, however, is that we shouldn’t allow our political standpoints to influence us to the point where we can’t even be friends with a member of the opposite party. 

Friendship doesn’t equal similar belief systems

Ellen DeGeneres, an American comedian and television personality, doesn’t allow opposing outlooks to stop her from being companions with someone. After people criticized her for sitting with former President George W. Bush at a Dallas Cowboys game, DeGeneres defended herself, saying “. . .just because I don’t agree with someone on everything doesn’t mean that I’m not going to be friends with them.”

At this point it isn’t solely that people gravitate toward people with the same views. The backlash that DeGeneres faced demonstrates political polarization is so egregious here that some people don’t even think one should be friends with someone in a different political spectrum. In order to stop this division, we must be open to compromise, try to see other people’s perspective and think of ways we can meet in the middle. We should see our surplus of similarities, not our iota of differences. Both parties are trying to make the country an exceptional place by arguing for their beliefs; yet when this occurs it makes for a divided nation, one where minimal progress occurs. 

I have taken part in the types of political disputes that halt the advancement of the country. Once when I was in seventh grade, I got into a heated argument over the racial tension on the University of Missouri campus that led to the hunger strike of about 30 football players. There was so much yelling over the debate that a cafeteria supervisor had to come over to calm us down. 

Self-reflection

I have grown as a person since then, and I now realize I was wrong to act that way in what should have been a civil discussion. The feuds were with some of my best friends. Following the arguments, I would see how much those people meant to me and regret acting nasty, bickering because of politics. Those same friends are the ones who are there for me when I feel down and support me. They are the same ones who have been there since I was eight. These kids are my companions. 

The division in the nation has gotten so severe it has almost torn me apart from my companions over the smallest of differences.  I forgot they, too, are in this fight to improve country and are the same as me. They are fellow Americans. When we feel hatred for others because of their party, remember we are all on the same team. We are all citizens of this great country, and only through unity and cooperation, not division and conflict, can we continue to move forward and become the best nation possible: a united nation.

Do you think the division in the nation has gone too far? Why or why not? Let us know in the comments below!