StuCo to host annual blood drive Oct. 31

BLOOD DRIVE: Students cheer on friend to donate blood last year. Photo by Yousef Lel’jayyousi

Anna Xu

From before Civics teacher Kelley Wittenborn took over as the adviser of Student Council, it has hosted a blood drive partnering with the Red Cross. As tradition would have it, this year the organization will do the same Oct. 31, from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Auxiliary Gym.
Students who weigh more than 120 pounds and are 16 or older can donate, but 16-year-olds need parental consent, a form obtained from the activities office.
The turnout goal is 100 donors, said Wittenborn. Last year, StuCo was a bit short with 83 donors, and so Wittenborn hopes to surpass the numeral Wednesday. StuCo member, junior Audrey Snyder, believes they will because  she feels they effectively spread the word through social media and fancy posters.
“I think we can. I feel like we’ve advertised a lot. Especially since it’s on Halloween it helps a lot because it’s like spooky. I mean, donate your blood [like vampires],” Snyder said. “I think our [Public Relations] committee has done a really good job putting up posters. That’s how I feel like we’ve stepped up or game this year, by advertising.”
Students, such as senior Kiren MacLeod, look forward to participating despite the physical drains of donating blood because he believes in the importance of each donations as many times it can be life or death for someone involved in an accident.
“[Last time] I definitely felt a little lightheaded because I didn’t drink enough water at all. I forgot to fill up my water bottle that morning,” MacLeod said. “I think it’s for a good cause and it’s a good way for students to get involved.”
Wittenborn hopes the turnout is successful because while there may be uncomfort after donating, the blood can be lifesaving. Over the Fourth of July holiday, the Red Cross said there was a shortage of blood donated which worried hospitals. To put donations in perceptive, one car crash victim may need over 100 pints of blood.
“I think it’s really important that student council does things that gives back to the community,” Wittenborn said. “Not just to RBHS but to all of Columbia or the surrounding area. So all the blood that is donated here is used locally.”
Are you planning to give?[vc_raw_html]JTVCdmNfcm93JTVEJTVCdmNfY29sdW1uJTVEJTVCdmNfdmlkZW8lMjBsaW5rJTNEJTIyaHR0cHMlM0ElMkYlMkZ5b3V0dS5iZSUyRjRiV3NIVXd0RU40JTIyJTVEJTVCJTJGdmNfY29sdW1uJTVEJTVCJTJGdmNfcm93JTVEJTBBJTBBU3R1ZGVudCUyMENvdW5jaWwlMjBob3N0cyUyMGElMjBibG9vZCUyMGRyaXZlJTIwaW4lMjB0aGUlMjBzY2hvb2wlMjBneW0lMjBvbiUyME9jdC4lMjAzMSUyMCUyOEhhbGxvd2VlbiUyOSUyQyUyMDIwMTguJTBBJTBBRmlsbWVkJTIwYW5kJTIwZWRpdGVkJTIwYnklMjBJc2FhYyUyMFBhcnJpc2gu[/vc_raw_html]