Chinese New Year Showcase to excite cultural celebration

[dropcap style=”flat” size=”4″]A[/dropcap] glimpse of China has found its way to mid-Missouri and, more specifically, to Columbia Public Schools (CPS). Chinese New Year, celebrated globally last Friday, Feb. 16, has a place for celebration at the third annual CPS Chinese New Year Showcase, coming to the Missouri Theater this Friday, Feb. 23 at 7 p.m., and the RBHS Chinese classes have a spot in the show.
[note note_color=”#44d790″ text_color=”#000000″ radius=”16″]Fast facts: Chinese New Year 2018 is considered to be the Year of the Dog. When a new year begins, it also starts a new animal’s zodiac year. There are 12 animals in the zodiac calendar. [/note] Junior Gemma Ross, a member of the Chinese 3/4 class at RBHS, has participated in the event since it started in 2016. Ross said her class began preparation for the event just before winter break, where they picked out a song to perform together.
“This year we are performing a Chinese translation of the song ‘Yellow’ by Coldplay,” Ross said. “[The song] is called ‘Shooting Star.’”
In contrast to this modern take on the traditional Chinese celebration, the Chinese 1 and 2 classes are joining up to perform a Kung Fu routine.
Ross’ brother, sophomore Darcy Ross, will be in this performance, and he said the dance tells a classic Chinese story.
“[The dance] celebrates the gathering of family,” Darcy Ross said. “[It tells] a story of a monster that comes every year and they ward it off with fireworks and dance and loud noises.”
The event is organized and sponsored by the University of Missouri-Columbia (MU) Confucius Institute, and is free and open for the public to attend.
This celebration is an opportunity for the community to learn more about Chinese culture and an opportunity for the students to show off what they have learned,” said Bridget Caddell, Program Coordinator for the MU Confucius Institute. “The show is free because we want to share the most important Chinese holiday with everyone, but we welcome donations to help support our programs.”
Caddell said the audience can expect to see performers ranging from 7th grade to 12th grade and will watch various acts, including singing, dancing, martial arts, poetry, comedy and drama at this year’s show. While the event has only been in existence for three years, the holiday it celebrates has been around for centuries.
“Chinese New Year, also known as the Spring Festival, is the most significant Chinese holiday of the year,” Caddell said. “It is a time when families gather together in a spirit of reunion. There are many customs to bring luck for the coming year including special foods, like long-life noodles; decorations, like paper cuttings and poems; and presents in the form of red envelopes, given by relatives to children.”
Gemma Ross said preparing for the event unites her and her Chinese classmates tighter than does any other class she takes because of the small class size. She said she appreciates the healthy relationship between CPS and the MU Confucius Institute in putting on the event because it highlights the Chinese culture as well as the quirky friendships the performers share.  
“My favorite part [of the event] would have to be sharing it with friends that come from all different walks of life,” Ross said. “We are a really odd bunch and it always makes for good stories…it’s always fun to learn each other’s cultures through friendship.”
Will you be attending the Chinese New Year showcase? Let us know below.