No-Bake Date and Nut Bars. Two Flavors

We’ve all been there.
You are on the go, traveling or in the middle of the school day when you hear it. The low and rumbling sound of your stomach as hunger sets in. It’s that frantic feeling that we have all experienced, but don’t fret. These No-Bake Date and Nut Bars in two flavors are here to satisfy your hunger. They keep very well at room temperature and are great for those on-the-go days where you have no time to spare.
Plus, they’re delicious…
GFYchocball

Since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I think it is time for a dessert that doesn’t give you that empty, sugary feeling in your stomach. One that satisfies your cravings and provides nutrients, aka, a healthy treat you can feel good about! So if you are going for that nutty, chewy and sweet kind of dessert — this is right up your alley. And really, who wouldn’t love having a chocolate-y, sweet “Almond Joy” or peanut butter brownie bar?
Coconut date and pb brownie rolls in the making…
GFYcoconutdateprocessor

GFYpbbrownieprocessor
One of the things I love the most about these bars is how versatile they are. You can form them into bars, balls, eat them as cereal, crumble them over yogurt, smoothies, banana “ice cream” and more!
GFYbrowniesmoothie
The flavors. Nutty peanut butter, pecans and walnuts. Sweet dates and maple syrup. Chewy coconut plus a crunch appeal from those cacao nibs. This is a trail-mix-meets-chocolate kind of dessert you won’t want to miss.
Before we get too far into the sugary sweet craze of Valentine’s Day, let’s have a little talk about health. Health and convenience do not have to be antonyms. It might seem impossible at first, but preparing healthy food ahead of time makes a world of a difference in how you feel.
The easiest way to eat healthier is to incorporate recipes like this into your lifestyle. For example, instead of having burgers on a night out, plan a picnic with your family and friends and pack special treats like these. Rather than driving to the ice cream shop, go for a walk on the trail with a few friends and snack on one of these bars along the way. You could also try packing yourself a special lunch for school. It’s about adding as much of the good stuff in that you can — you will soon find those other unhealthy foods have no appeal to you.
Let’s find real health one step at a time, or maybe one bite at a time…
GFYbrowniecloseup
No-Bake Date and Nut Bars
“Almond Joy” coconut date bars:
⅓ cup peanut butter
4 dates
¼-⅓ cup shredded coconut
2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or enough to make things stick together)
½ cup raw walnuts, chopped
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp pink salt
Peanut butter brownie:
⅓ cup peanut butter
4 dates
¼-⅓ cup shredded coconut
3 tbsp pure maple syrup (or enough to make things stick together)
½ cup raw pecans, chopped
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp cacao nibs (or sub with chopped chocolate chips)
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp pink salt
Chocolate sauce:
2 tbsp vegan chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
Directions:

1. Combine the peanut butter and pitted dates in a food processor and blend until roughly chopped. Add shredded coconut and maple syrup and pulse until sticky. (If making the brownie flavor, add the cocoa powder in as well)
  2. Transfer the mixture into a medium bowl. Chop the nuts and add them into the bowl along with the cinnamon, salt and cacao nibs (or chopped chocolate chips) if making the brownie recipe.
  3. Mix all ingredients together until combined. Add more maple syrup if it is not sticking together enough.
  4. For the chocolate sauce, heat the chocolate chips and oil and stir until smooth. Pour over the coconut date recipe for a “Almond Joy-esque” flavor or over the peanut butter brownie recipe for a double chocolate take. You can store these in the fridge for a few weeks or at room temperature for a week.

Mixing the pb brownie ingredients…
GFYpbbrownie-mixing

The chocolate sauce…
GFYchoc

GFYbrownieslice
all photos by Grace Vance
What kinds of treats do you like to make for Valentine’s Day? Leave a comment below!