Garlic Ginger Curry Soup

photo by Grace Vance

This past weekend I woke up to a soft snow falling. Wispy and light, big gushes of wind would carry it away. Burr. The winter season brings such a cozy feeling to it, and with that comes comfort food cravings. Something warm, fuss free and flavorful. Enter my Garlic Ginger Curry Soup.
photo by Grace Vance
This soup starts with hearty base of vegetables and lentils and then you can go crazy with the garlic, ginger and other spices you add in. One of my favorite things about dishes like this is you can change it up every time. There really is no way you can go wrong.
Mixing the spices…
photo by Grace Vance

Everything in this recipe is a powerhouse of warmth. Ginger brings a spicy and warming kick with its anti-inflammatory abilities. Turmeric contains anti-inflammatory curcumin, which has shown to help the body fight infections, treat digestive issues, and has anticancer abilities, according a study from the University of Maryland Medical Center. If you choose to add the red hot spice cayenne, it adds to the feeling of warmth.
Settle down with this comforting, healthy and satisfying soup. Grab a spoon and get my recipe below
photo by Grace Vance
Garlic Ginger Curry Soup
serves 4-6
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup broccoli/cauliflower, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup split red lentils
1 cup cooked chickpeas
3-5 cups vegetable broth or water (if using water, add salt to taste)
1 ½ tbsp ginger, grated
2 small garlic cloves
3-4 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp red curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen brand)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp smoked paprika
water as needed
Directions:

1. Chop all vegetables. Add them to a pot on medium heat with a splash of water to cook.
  2. Once the vegetables are part way cooked, add the ginger and garlic. Let cook for about a minute.
  3. Add the veggie broth or water and the lentils. Allow this to boil, then cover with lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
  4. While that is cooking, in a small bowl, mix the curry paste, turmeric, paprika and turmeric. Add water as need to thin out.
  5. After about 20-25 minutes, uncover the lentil veggie mixture and stir in the spice mix, tomato paste and cooked chickpeas. If the consistency is too thin for you, allow this to simmer for anywhere from 10-30 minutes, or until your desired thickness.

I like to serve it with toast and Vegenaise…
photo by Grace Vance

photos by Grace Vance
Do you like curry dishes? Leave a comment below!