Helias brings tough competition for Bruins

Junior Hannah Krogman leaps up in the air to spike the ball in the game against Fatima Sept. 17, where they won 25-21, 26-24. Photo by Catherine Howser
Last night, Sept. 27, the girls varsity volleyball team suffered a loss on the home court to Helias, one of their toughest rivals. This came as a devastating blow after going undefeated in last weekend’s tournament, the Troy Invitational.
During the first set of the match against the Helias Lady Crusaders, the Bruins fell behind and let Helias take the lead with a score of 11-18. They couldn’t quite pull it together, and Helias made sure the RBHS girls knew they were in for tough competition. The Lady Crusaders swept away the entire first set, scoring the first 25 points to Rock Bridge’s 16.
The second set of the match started out on a much better note. The girls now had some anger and were motivated to win back this game. They took the lead and halfway through the set they were up, 10-8. However, this didn’t last long, as Helias came back and shot RBHS in the foot, scoring several points in a row, tallying it up to a 14-20 lead.
The home team attempted to regain its footing, but weren’t able to, leaving the end score of 17-25 in the Crusaders’ favor. The Bruins were disappointed, but they felt as though they had given it their all.
“We put out a valiant effort, especially with the new rotation,” said senior varsity player Katelyn Race. “Helias is beatable, but they outplayed us tonight.”
The girls plan on using this game as practice for the next time they see Helias at the district tournament, Oct. 22-25 at RBHS. They are focusing on playing to the best of each others’ strengths and weaknesses even more now that they have been given a new rotation on the court.
“Honestly, we don’t need to do much [before seeing Helias again], but get used to the new rotation,” Race said. “Two of our original starters are out, but we still have a lot of talent on the court. We just need to get used to each other.”
By Brittany Cornelison