‘Stage Whisperer’ lacks potential

Charlotte Gainsbourg had a great family background to support her in music and film, but when her father Serge Gainsbourg, a 1980’s French pop music legend, launched her into the music industry when she was 13 in his duet “Lemon Incest, ” her career was hurt more than helped. Because of the song’s controversial topic and Charlotte’s unacceptable behavior with her father in the music video, Charlotte couldn’t be seen as anything other than a prop in her father’s success. She was even teased about the release so brutally throughout school that her parents decided to send her off to boarding school. Unfortunately, Gainsbourg won’t have much success with her new album release either, “Stage Whisper’ which was released on the Dec. 13.

album and film covers used under fair use exception to copyright laws
The topics of each of her songs are overwhelmingly dark and almost painful to listen to. The first track “Terrible Angels” describes the horrible feelings that may or may not come from the aftermath of certain substances. It goes into feelings of helplessness and entrapment.
Seemingly, the biggest struggle for Gainsbourg is keeping the attention on her. Even her stronger songs such as “The Operation” lack any reason to keep listening. The lyrics are all the same and the sound is endlessly techno. Her voice would be excellent if it were in the background but it can’t grab the focus for an album just short of 20 tracks.
The album includes some of her past works from albums, “IRM” and “5:55,” and some songs are from live performances.  Yet, Gainsbourg doesn’t seem to be one to craze up her audience in excitement or fever; instead, she changes the mood with her subtle tweak in the techno background and beat of the drums.
Don’t right her off just yet, if the consistent eerie feel is something that attracts click right on over to iTunes for more of the exact same, continuous sound.
By Sonya Francis