Phillip Lei, junior

What do you think is one of the biggest flaws in the American education system?

“There isn’t enough individualization in a lot of classes. Most of the time it’s one size fits all. There are studies classes that have one [lesson plan] for 60 students at a time. Some of the smaller classes I’ve taken — I think they’re better because you get more interaction with the teacher, and it’s more personalized to you. I have a psychology class with Mr. Dickmeyer, and it’s a small class and he’s talking the whole time, but he also really engages each person. Some classes, like [AP United States History] for example, you have two teachers and 60 students, and they’ll have an assignment on the board and then you’re just working the whole time. I know that the [teacher to student] ratio is the same because in my psychology class it’s about 1-30 and the studies classes are 2-60, but in general if the teacher interacts with you more, it makes [learning] a better experience. Smaller class sizes would be a good step towards solving this issue. A lot of universities when they send you mail it’ll say ‘Come to our school,’ but one of their top stats is their 7-1 student/teacher ratio. High schools should work to be more like that and better fit the individual needs of their students.”

What are your thoughts on the American education system? Let us know in the comments below.