Bruin soccer defeats Nixa, moves on to semifinals

Junior Eli Sherman readies for a kick to get the ball away from the opponent at the Nov. 12 game against Nixa High School. The game later ended with a 2-0 win for the Bruins.
Kicking for the win: Junior Eli Sherman readies for a kick to get the ball away from the opponent at the Nov. 12 game against Nixa High School. The game later ended with a 2-0 win for the Bruins.
On Saturday, Nov. 12, the Bruins (27-3)  fought fiercely at the quarterfinal game against Nixa High School (24-4), winning 2-0. RBHS will move on to the semifinals and play the winner of district 7/8 quarterfinal game, Oakville (20-7-1), Friday, Nov. 18.
DeSmet (23-4-1) and Lee’s Summit West (24-6) move on as the other two semifinalists. RBHS boys have not played any of the other three teams in the final four so far this season.
Although the Bruins tied 0-0 at halftime today, there were a few kicks that just missed the goal in the first half of the game, including one where the ball hit the crossbar instead. Named “Sav City” this year – short for Savage City – the boys did not disappoint. Extensive footwork, quick reflexes and aggressive plays drove the Bruins through the first half.
“I felt like we were right there on the door, so I thought that was very promising,” Head Coach Kyle Austin said. “There’ve only been two games all season long we haven’t scored, so I knew it was just a matter of time.”
Within the first 10 minutes of the second half, the Bruins nearly lost a goal to the Eagles during a tight struggle near the penalty box. However, junior Jordan Reiske was able to improvise a save by kicking the ball all the way to the halfway line. Senior Matt Kelly scored the first goal of the game 16 minutes in and senior Austin Powell rounded out the score board with the second goal just around the eight minute mark.
“I think halftime was a pretty large turning point,” senior Sam Stoeckl said. “We knew we had to come up with something to put the game over the edge, and then we dominated the last half.”
RBHS boys knew what to expect today from the Nixa Eagles. The Bruins had played the then-undefeated Eagles Oct. 8, winning the game 2-0. A month ago, the Eagles put the Bruin defense under pressure and came out with more intensity than the RBHS boys in the first 10 minutes.
Nixa “was a very technically sound team who had many weapons, but there were some weak points,” senior Kory McDonald said. In addition, “We’ve just tuned up everything since we played them last.”
Still, defeating the Eagles was no easy feat, especially since both teams have very similar playing styles. Both teams try to possess the ball the same way and both are aggressive. Nixa players were able to match RB players in both intensity and athletic ability, Austin said.
However, Nixa was “less organized offensively, they leave a lot of space open – something we don’t do – and they don’t have as much of a grasp on a solid formation,” Stoeckl said.
The game against Nixa tested the Bruins, but once again, green and gold stole the spotlight. This most recent victory added to the team’s 19-win streak. Austin feels the boys played their most solid game today and have the ability to improve and win at state.
“Our team has proven every step of the way that they can step up to the competition,” Austin said. “We’ve got a heck of a team, and they’re just all in it together, and whenever you have that camaraderie and that bonding, anything’s possible.”
Last year was the first time Bruin boys’ soccer competed at the final four, where they tied for third. This year, they are ranked first in the state and 38th in the nation. The boys are set on winning and have a different approach to the games.
“Even now, rather than being overly exuberant or excited about winning [quarterfinals], we have a more business-like mind-set,” Stoekl said. “Last year, we had the mentality that we were good, but we kind of had to be a little lucky to be one of the best. I think we’re going to be a lot better this year going into the final four since we have a lot of guys that were on [last year’s] team. We feel as though we belong as number one in the state.”
By Daphne Yu