Personal portobella pizza makes for a great snack

[slideshow_deploy id=’261248′] It wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to say mushrooms are perhaps the most polarizing food group of all time. Groups on both sides of the aisle are about as passionate about their respective views as it gets, but with the recent meteoric popularity rise of the portobella mushroom, many have been put to shame.
With the mushroom making appearances in everything from burgers, to smoothies, it’s safe to say that the Age of the Portobella is upon us.
Better to join than fight, my friends.
Portobella Pizza
1 Portobella mushroom
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ tomato
¼ cup mozzarella cheese
¼ cup onion (optional)
1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
½ teaspoon minced garlic (optional)
1. Begin by preheating oven to 400 degrees and grease a cookie sheet. (If you prefer pre-made tomato sauce, go ahead and skip directions two and three.)
2. Next pour about a tablespoon of olive oil into a medium hot saucepan to prepare tomato sauce. Dice half of a tomato and throw it into the pan. If you want, you can also add ¼ cup onion, one teaspoon of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of minced garlic to add flavor. Since I have the tastebuds of a five-year-old, I opted not to.
3. Stir-fry the diced tomato in the olive oil for four to five minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Meanwhile, go ahead and wash out the portobella mushroom. Afterwards take a spoon and scoop out the gills, making sure the inside is cleaned out as best you can.
5. Pour the tomato sauce into the carved mushroom, leaving room for mozzarella on top. When the oven is ready, proceed to bake for about 12 minutes. Enjoy!
All in all, the recipe was pretty good—for a mushroom. It was quick and super easy, but it definitely didn’t taste like pizza. If you’re looking for comfort food, I would keep looking. The recipe can be customized for your topping preferences as well, making it a good personalized dish and has quite a few health benefits as well. Try it out and feel free to experiment. Best of luck!
By Ashleigh Atasoy
What do you think of mushroom pizza?