DIY: Apple Cinnamon Pie-Cake

[slideshow_deploy id=’259724′]

Apples: they’re an American icon. From Johnny Appleseed to the classic Apple Pie, you can’t argue with the fact that America, apples and liberty seem to go together. But sometimes even an icon can be in need of a revamp. Enter the Apple Cinnamon Pie-Cake. This baking creation put a twist on the traditional apple pie. Try it and see.

You’ll Need:

1 nine-inch spring-form pan

1 medium-large bowl

1 blender

Butter

4 apples

1 ½ tablespoons Cinnamon-Sugar mix (1 ¼ tablespoon White Sugar + ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon)

3 eggs

1 ½ cup sugar

1 ½ cup vegetable oil

3 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 ½ cup flour

1. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees and buttering the spring-form pan. I took a paper towel and about one tablespoon of room temperature butter to spread a thin layer across the bottom and sides of the pan.

2. Now it’s time to peel those apples. While many apple recipes call for a specific type, I went ahead and used four completely different types. The apples don’t necessarily need to be fresh from the store, just fresh enough. It’s okay it signs of wrinkling are beginning to show; you’re about to bake the apples in a 350 degree oven. After the the apples are peeled, go ahead and slice the fruit into slice about ¼ centimeter thick. Place the slices in the pan and fill about ⅔ of the way up. Seal the deal by sprinkling the cinnamon-sugar mix over the tops of the apples. Set aside.

3. After setting aside the prepared apple pan, begin to mix together the eggs and sugar in a medium to large size bowl. To save time, I would recommend using a blender for the rest of the ingredients.

When the eggs and sugar are completely mixed, pour in the vegetable oil and vanilla. After the liquid ingredients are blended together, incorporate the last ingredient, flour. By the time the flour has finally been blended in, the mix should be very thick.

4. Pour the batter into the apple pan. Wait about five minutes for the mix to settle in and sprinkle any remaining cinnamon-sugar mix over the top. I went ahead and patted (read: slammed) the pan bottom a few times to ensure that the batter spread out and really seeped between the layers of apples.

5. Set a timer for 1 ½ hours. When timer rings, make sure a toothpick can come clean from the center. For help getting the cake out in one piece, set it aside in a cooled environment before serving. Once the cake’s out of the pan, slice and enjoy. Rumor has it vanilla ice cream makes the perfect combination.

By Ashleigh Atasoy

Do you like the apple cinnamon pie-cake? Can it compare to the traditional apple pie?