Bruin football loses by one to Liberty

Senior wide receiver Antwon Turnage completes a pass against tough coverage from a Kewpie rival during the 2013 Providence Bowl this past September. Rock Bridge walked away with a 27-10 victory, adding to their wins on a 4-4 season record.
Senior wide receiver Antwon Turnage completes a pass against tough coverage from a Kewpie rival during the 2013 Providence Bowl this past September. Rock Bridge walked away with a 27-10 victory, adding to their wins on a 4-4 season record. Photo by Maribeth Eiken
[heading]Bruins lose to Liberty 27-28. [/heading] The RBHS Bruin football team played their hearts out in the second half of a tough emotional game this past Friday, October 18.
We had a lot of “mental mistakes [in the first half],” junior offensive guard Jonah Dubinski said after the game.
Liberty came out strong during the first half, capitalizing on the Bruins’ mistakes by putting points on the board and holding RBHS at zero. With a lot to think about, the Bruins took time in the locker room during half time to gain composure and come up with a game plan. Accepting their mistakes and moving forward, the team came out strong the second half.
Liberty “came out and dominated the first half,” Dubinski said. “We fought back in the second half, putting up 27 points.”
Using their passing game, which brought much success in the past, the Bruins rallied for four touchdowns, slowing bringing themselves back into the game.
“We got back to our fast-paced air-it-out attack,” Dubinski said, “and we simply ravaged the secondary. [We had] great plays by all our skill position players [as well].”
The heart and dedication from the Bruins showed the amount of passion and hard work the team was willing to give for success. Unfortunately, against all their hard work, the Bruins came up one short in the fourth quarter, losing to Liberty 28-27. Regardless of a win or a loss, the team’s performance in the second half was true RBHS football, proving mental and physical strength.
“We were tired of being down three scores at half,”Dubinski said.”We dug deep and found our true selves.”
Bruin football is now 4-4 on the season. 
By Maribeth Eiken