Abuse Awareness club promotes Denim Day

Denim bracelets will be available in the main commons tomorrow, April 25, during all lunch shifts.
Denim bracelets will be available in the main commons tomorrow, April 25, during both lunch shifts. Photo by Nina Johnston.
Abuse Awareness club has brought attention every day throughout the school year to the reality of abuse, but one day stands out to this club. Every year, this event, Denim Day, is celebrated on April 25. Club president, junior Amy Blevins, has been very adamant about spreading the word about this event. This is not an American tradition though, Blevins explains.
“There was a girl in Rome, Italy who was raped by her driving instructor during her driver’s test and pulled [into] an alley. The victim was wearing tight jeans,” Blevins said. “Her rapist was sentenced to jail but later appealed his case and was set free due to the fact that she had been wearing tight jeans. He claimed there was no way he could have taken off her pants without her help, arguing that it was consensual sex.”
Blevins hopes that the celebration of this day will help potential victims as well as make students aware of why this cause is such a worthy one.
“I think if more students are aware, this won’t happen again,” Blevins said. “Also, it’s a good way to support and help [the victim] through the trauma she’s had.”
The students of RBHS are responding positively to the new idea of Denim Day. Several have been touched by the history of Denim Day and are moved to prevent something like this from happening again.
“It allows the students to realize that rape is actually real and can happen to anyone at any time,” junior Lexi Simmons said. “It also helps us recognize what happened to the girl and to seek justice and seek support for her.”
Students can help spread the word and support the cause by donating jeans to the Abuse Awareness booth in the main commons tomorrow during both lunches or in Room 202 any time during the day. The jeans will be taken to the True North shelter and given to victims of abuse.  Also, students are welcome to pick up a denim bracelet or make one themselves at the booth to wear in support of helping abuse victims.
By Antonina Johnston