Girls soccer dominates sectionals, moves onto quarterfinals

With Jeff City holding onto the ball during the Bruin Girls' district game, junior Sydney Ringdahl fights to get possession. Junior Kate Hulen stands behind Ringdahl waiting for a steal. Photo by Sanja Kalender
The Bruin soccer girls (14-6) walked off the field Tuesday, May 22, with another big victory at hand against Waynesville (17-9).
RBHS won the game, played on the Waynesville Tigers’ home field, with the help of senior Carmen Boesson and senior Lexi Bumby with a score of 3-0; Boesson had two of those three goals. Even though the Bruins didn’t come out as strong as they had hoped, concentration was the key to tonight’s win.
“I thought we connected a lot better the second half once we calmed down and just played our game,” Bumby said. “We didn’t play bad the first half, but we definitely weren’t playing to our potential.”
Although the game was a post season game, the Lady Bruins prepared for this game just as they always do for every game, focusing on formations and foundations.
“We just continue to work on our set plays and work on our formation on and off the ball,” Bumby said. “We also get scouting reports and adjust accordingly.”
These practices helped tune the Bruins and their hard work really showed on the field this evening, Bumby said.  Although their ball movement in the center was good, they lacked movement on the wings.
“I thought we did a great job tonight,” senior Alyssa Fancher said. “We didn’t really get the ball wide as much as we could have so that made things harder, but we will work on it during practices and hopefully that will be a strength for us next game.”
The Bruins have a few days to continue improving and will compete in the quarterfinal round against Glendale (18-5) Saturday, May 26, in Springfield. They hope to have a better outcome in the quarterfinals than they did last year, when their opponent was also the Glendale Falcons.
“This coming game is going to be really intense,” junior Morgan Bumby said. “We met Glendale in the Quarterfinals last year also, and we didn’t get the result we wanted so I think we’re all hungry to come out and beat them this year. I know our coaches will continue to push us at practice and help us to get better. It is very important for us to keep working hard and that is what we are going to do. What we are doing seems to be working, so I think if we keep that up and play for each other that we can accomplish some pretty great things.”
By Caraline Trecha
[nggallery id=105] Photos by Sanja Kalendar