Girls’ soccer looks for improvement after tough Hickman tournament

Sohpomore Alexis Carson fights for the ball in the Hickman-Rock Bridge game on April 9. Photo by Kayla Eiffert
For most students, the 3 p.m. bell that rang Friday afternoon simply signaled the end of school. The girls soccer team, however, knew there was still work to be done. With the Hickman tournament starting that evening, game time was looming closer and closer.

In the first round, RBHS played Pembroke Hill High School on at five. The game started with physical play, that both teams had not let up the entire game. The winner of this game would move onto the winners bracket while the losers played for constellation  victory.
With the team still struggling with its lack of players, they continued to fight even without an experienced goalie until sophomore Laurie Frew was able to find the back of the net.
“They were a good physical team,” senior goalie Brett Fuller said, “but we outplayed them and I think we were the better team. I was excited because it was my first shut out.”
The game ended, 1-0 leaving the Bruins to play in the semi-finals the next morning.
The game was against Troy High School who had just defeated RBHS that week in double overtime penalty kicks.
The emotions were running high and revenge was in the air. Having to make adjustments to positions, it seemed like each player was in an unfamiliar spot, trying to pick up the pieces of where the team was lacking. The first to score was Troy. Though the bruins fought hard senior forward Lexi Bumby’s goal was not enough to put the Bruins on top.
“I don’t think there was anything major that we were doing wrong as a team,” junior midfielder Morgan Bumby said. “When you’re missing multiple key players it just makes it hard.”
With the final score 1-2, the Bruins would be playing for third place against Holt.
The third game started less than an hour after the first game not giving the girls any resting time. With so much exhaustion through the whole team the only goal was to go out and have fun. The game started slow and it seemed hard to get focused until Holt scored the first goal. It was time to step up.
Running off of pure adrenaline, the Bruins started to focus on the game while still having an enjoyable time.
“My favorite game was the third game because given the circumstances with injuries and thirty minutes between games we were able to go out and just play for fun,” senior Alyssa Fancher said. “Plus we ended up winning which made it it that much sweeter.”
With the rhythm back two senior forwards scored, Carmen Boessen and Lexi Bumby. This put the Bruins on top.
Leaving the tournament the Bruins took home third place and had one goal in mind. To learn and improve from each game. With the unfortunate luck the Bruins have had to rearrange and each game is just working towards being more and more comfortable in the new set up.
“I feel like we have some gaps that we are working to fill to make our play flow better,” Bumby said, “and that’s something that I’m hoping will only improve with time. We are really working to adjust to the changes and get better.”
By Katrina Fox